Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Baby Birdies on My Porch











A little over 3 weeks ago I reached for my hanging flower pot to take it down for watering. To my surprise a bird popped up and squawked at me! I realized it was a mama bird who had built a nest in my flowers and was sitting on eggs. We only saw one egg when mama was away from the nest. So, for two full weeks mama bird sat on that nest keeping an eye us as we came in and out of our front door. She has the softest and gentlest eyes. I'm not a huge bird fan but for some reason I really adored this mama bird. I gave up on watering my flowers and they completely dried up but they did provide a perfect nesting spot for mama bird. We went away on vacation for a week and when we returned I was very happy to see that she was still sitting up there on her nest! Either that night or the next morning, I noticed two more heads in the nest. Two baby birdies! They were actually quite big at that point! They couldn't have been more than a week old. So, we watched them Monday and Tuesday and I had intentions of taking photos but always put it off. Finally yesterday afternoon I took my camera outside and captured mama and babies in the nest. Yesterday evening I saw one baby sitting on the edge of the pot and I feared it would fall off of the nest. This morning, the babies were gone from the nest. I suspected they "flew the coop". Mid-morning, Jake went outside to find one baby sitting on the porch railing. I snapped some photos of the baby but didn't want to scare it so we kept our distance. And then, right before our eyes, it flew to the tree in our front yard. Moments later, mama joined baby on a tree branch and we watched their interaction for quite awhile. So awesome to see their relationship! We never saw the other baby but hopefully it was nearby and mama spent some time with it, too. How cool is that?? Sure beats flowers on the porch anyday!! Oh and never put off taking photos of wildlife until the next day...you might just miss your chance as I came so close to finding out!!!

1 comment:

Frank Smiraglia said...

Kim,
Beautiful pics. These are Mourning Doves and I've never seen a baby before.
Thanks!
Frank